The Pre-QME Program
How to Become a Qualified Medical Evaluator
Qualified Medical Evaluators (QMEs) are physicians certified by the Division of Workers’ Compensation who are hired by attorneys, employers and insurance companies to examine injured workers in order to evaluate contested medical issues. QME physicians write reports assessing the alleged injuries, which are then used to determine an injured worker’s eligibility for Workers’ Compensation benefits. Healthcare professionals who can become QMEs include medical doctors, doctors of osteopathy, doctors of chiropractic, dentists, optometrists, podiatrists, psychologists and acupuncturists.
Steps to become a QME in the State of California:
Step 1: Pass the QME Competency Exam offered by the Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC). This exam is given twice per year (April and October).
Step 2: Complete a 12-hour QME report writing course from an approved DWC education provider.
Step 3: Finalize the application for QME appointment.
Ready to get started? Give us a call at 888-853-7944 or request to join our QME network online.
Benefits of Working with California Medical Evaluators
1. Turnkey QME Practice Management: Our comprehensive QME Practice Management Service allows our physicians to concentrate on evaluations without having to worry about the administrative complexities of managing a QME practice.
2. Education & Mentorship: We provide a wide array of specialized courses designed to help you pass the QME Competency Exam, as well as a Report-Writing Course that satisfies the DWC’s requirement. We also offer a QME Starter Program specifically tailored to the needs of newly appointed QMEs.
3. QME Competency Exam Registration Assistance: Let us handle the administrative details.
4. Advanced Data Analytics & Strategy: Our specialists constantly analyze DWC data, looking for trends and opportunities to improve your practice.
5. Sophisticated Marketing/Promotion: Our industry-leading marketing strategy focuses on building your personal brand as a medical expert.